Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Humble Pie

The weather forecast is for a major cold front to move into the area on Tuesday afternoon - rains and dropping temperatures.  Still reeling (no pun intended) from the outstanding smallmouth bite on Saturday I decided that my best chance to duplicate was to go first thing this morning before the front arrived.  The rain was not forecasted to arrive until late morning, it was a balmy 60 F, and I felt sure I was in for an awesome morning.  I got on the water at about 6:30 a.m. before first daylight - I started in Rowe Cove, just in case the stripers wanted to surrender to a top water or two before I targeted the smallmouth.  The rockfish were breaking this morning better than Saturday, but were - as usual for this time of year - all over the place breaking once and then moving on.  I could never get one to notice my redfin, so I gave it about thirty minutes or so and then got bait.  I got my favorite freshwater bait - perfect sized thread fin shad (Dorosoma petenense) I was thrilled at the prospect that awaited me.  I ran over to the rock pile at Thief Neck armed with the rig of choice; a standard bobber with a 3' 4 lb test Seaguar flourocarbon leader on 10 lb test Power Pro and a 1/0 Owner Mutu Light circle hook.  This rig was delivered on my new 7' Temple Fork Outfitters ML matched with my Shimano Stella 4000 FB. I fished the same stretches I fished just three days ago and only boated one smallmouth and one drum.  I lost 4 others, but the bite was just nothing like it was on Saturday. It just goes to show you as soon as you start thinking you've got it all figured out, it changes.  Nothing like a good day on the water to keep you humble :)

No comments:

Post a Comment