Friday, March 23, 2012

Springtime White Bass

I went up the Emory River this afternoon to check and see if the white bass were making their spring run up the river to spawn. I started about 1:00 p.m. and drove the boat as far as I could up the river to the shoals (~1 mile up from the launch at Flour Mill Flats). I used 1/8 ounce lead head with a mister twister chartreuse grub double rigged. I hit several spots picking up one white bass every now and then, but never finding good numbers of fish stacked up in one area. By 2:30 p.m. I had 10, but still couldn't find any concentrations of fish. I figured they just weren't up the river in large numbers yet and was considering loading up and heading down to Watts Bar to crappie fish. As I was firing up and heading down river to the ramp, I saw one more spot I thought I would give a try - it was a stretch of sandy shoreline with down timber. I picked up a nice fish right away, then another, then another, before I knew it I had 30 fish off two down trees in 20' of shoreline. The boat was in about 10' of water and I was casting all the way up to the bank slowly bringing it back. The graph was showing a pretty sharp drop off from ~4.5' to 10' with a great concentration of fish on the drop. Over the next two hours I proceeded to catch fish pretty much constantly, many two at a time. Many of the fish were males, discharging sperm all over my boat, and the others were females stuffed with eggs - its obvious these fish are in the height of their spawn.  I kept the best 4 white bass (14 - 16") for our next fish fry. Kimberly had just gotten home from a spring break cruise with Alex's family so I had to leave earlier than I normally would but I wound up with at total of 101 white bass for the day. I guess they have decided to make their spring run...

No comments:

Post a Comment