Saturday, September 4, 2010

Striper Fishin' the Clinch

After Scott (my brother) listened to me talk about striper fishing all night long at the Kingston Football game on Friday night (by the way Kinston beat Scott Co. 21 to 12 - Go Jackets!) he decided to go with me on Saturday morning. Ethan and Ian joined us. We started by getting bait in Dead Man's cove (Young Creek)- nice 6 to 10" gizzard shad were abundant in this creek, so we loaded up with as many as the bait tank could hold and headed up to take a look at the area I had been catching fish in previous days on the ole' Lowrance. There were tons of baitfish and what looked to be good sized rockfish all over the drop from 10 to 30'. So we started fishing on the bottom, but didn't have any luck - occasionally we would see a nice striper break the surface but never got any to bite. We decided to make the long run up to Jones Island because I just felt sure we could find some fish up there in the early part of the day. We made the run of about 14 miles and by the time we got there TVA had started generating at Melton Hill Dam, so we had current - I always feel more confident when I'm fishing with a little current. Right away we started getting bites using bottom rigs and free lining. Scott and Ethan each lost one, I had several short strike my live bait, and then Ian hooked into a nice 10 pound striper. Just a little bit later, Ian hooked up with the big fish of the day - a 21 pounder - the biggest of his life. Needless to say he was psyched and so was I! I added one more 5 pounder to the stringer and shortly thereafter we ran out of bait. We went into Paw Paw Creek and I finally accumulated enough good bait to get back out on the river. Unfortunately it was getting a little later in the day (~12:30) and the bite seemed to turn off. Since we had a long run ahead of us and since I had to get back home to get ready for UT's first football game of the 2010 season, we decided to call it a day, and what a good one it was. Thank you Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment