Sunday, May 15, 2011

Watts Bar - Shady Grove

I fished today by myself out of the Shady Grove launch from 1:30 to ~4:00 p.m.

The weather was overcast all day and very cool for this time of year (low 60s) with a cool breeze 5-10 mph with gusts higher.  The cold front has definitely arrived.  The water temperature was 71F.

I began by fishing an XCalibur XR75 lipless crankbait (Color:  royal shad) over some shallow flats looking for areas where the bass may be bedding or coming off the bed.  I also chunked a 1/2 ounce Choo Choo spinnerbait with gold willow leaf blades (color: citrus) at any brush I came across as I worked the shoreline.  Nothing showed any interest so I moved into the mouth of the next creek down from Shady Grove, and found some great looking gravely bottom terrain gently sloping to about 8' of water. I decided to make a change to an XCalibur XCS200 square lip crankbait (color: Bruiser - deep blue with a black back).   The wind was blowing pretty hard into the left arm of the creek so I was working the shoreline a little faster than I wanted.  A nice largemouth (~3 lbs) crushed my crankbait, and about half way to the boat he soared out of the water and slung the crankbait out of his mouth.  So with that I decided to drop anchor and work the shoreline a bit slower.  I made probably 15 more casts (working a gravely area around a private residential concrete boat ramp) and a really nice 4 lb largemouth engulfed my XCS200.  She wore obvious signs of recent preparations for spawning; bloody tail and egg filled belly.

No comments:

Post a Comment