Sunday, July 26, 2009

Redfishin' St. Joe Bay in the Native


At sun up (~6:00 a.m.) I entered St. Joseph Bay in Port St. Joe, FL behind Conch Island and fished the very shallow (~2') marsh grass in my Native Kayak. At ~8:00 I caught a 27" (~8 lb) redfish on a weightless rigged Gulp natural colored shrimp. I then found a spot at ~9:00 a.m. (low tide was at 9:13 a.m.) where there appeared to be some flow through a necked down portion of grass. I noticed mullet, baitfish and feeding fish. I threw a chug-bug near the bait fish and a monster redfish blew up on it. As I was fighting the fish he was pulling my kayak into the spot and since i didn't want to spook the fish I began grabbing grass with one had and holding the rod with the other, and consequently I lost the fish. The very net cast the exact same thing happened - another bruiser lost! Then I stuck my paddle into the soft mucky bottom and tied off to it. The third cast... a monster crushed the chug-bug again. His initial run squealed off 30 to 40 yards of Power Pro, but I fought him back for the next 5 minutes and got him all the way to the boat. I got a great look at the fish - I estimate he weighed between 15 - 20 lbs. The largest redfish I had ever seen. As he was about 10 feet from the boat he got off. UGH! The very next cast I hooked another nice red and brought him all the way to the boat only to lose him as well. I was absolutely dying at this point. I've never had so much adrenaline running through my veins. I realized that since I was so low to the water that my angle of fight must have been bad and got worse the closer I got the fish to the kayak. I realized I needed to stand up, but to keep from spooking the fish I had to stay crouched down behind the marsh grass. At this point I realized I needed my Mossy Oak Marsh Grass camo pattern. The next cast I boated a really nice keeper redfish (~4 lbs). For the next 1&1/2 hours every cast was either a monster blow-up, hook and fight and lose, or boat a beautiful bruiser redfish. I caught ~20 redfish from 3 to 8 lbs, keeping two 27" fish. It was the most incredible 2 hours of fishing I have ever experienced!

No comments:

Post a Comment